It’s been a while since I posted some boat progress, that doesn’t mean there hasn’t been any though!
Most of the recent progress has been in the form of de-rusting the bilges. I was quite worried about what lurked under the floor and really didn’t want to look, but sometimes you just got to get on with it!
This is what I found. Quite surprised at how little rust there was especially in this section is where the old shower used to be. The plywood subfloor above was rotten so I almost expected to see the canal when I ripped it out!
with this bit exposed I ploughed on…
After a little bit of work with my new grinder (which started smoking and nearly caught fire after 3 days work!) it looked pretty sound, which was a huge relief.
And with the paint on.
I’ve still got about 6ft of cabin to do, but in the week I had off work I really didn’t have the time to do it all, so the last bit will get done in spring when the paint will actually dry.
I’ve also got the new shower in which was a prerequisite to doing the floor as I rightly expected to get very very dirty. This was a good move as the amount of rusty dust that was kicked up was immense, everything I owned was covered, despite the sheeting I erected to try to prevent this.
Here’s the shower just after grouting, it’s absolutely massive, 1 metre square to be precise. Its quite nice not to elbow the wall while having a shower.
So the floor is done (nearly), I have hot running water and a nice new shower. I’m dying to get the decorating done, but am holding off until I have all of the construction done and won’t be doing the topcoat until the floor is completely done in the spring, so I am still living in a floating building site, but at least it’s getting there!
Peace.
Aquanomad.
No comments:
Post a Comment